Rapid City Medical Center is pleased to welcome Dr. Tyler A. Ptacek, a double Board Certified pain specialist. Dr. Ptacek introduces an Interventional Pain department to our practice.
Dr. Ptacek is excited to be in the Black Hills and is in some ways “coming home” to be close to his family. He was raised along with his two brothers and sister in O’Neill, Nebraska – a town of about 3,500 people. It was during this time that he was influenced by his father practicing medicine as a small town family doctor. This experience is a big part of why he enjoys the combining of the art and the science of modern medicine into improving people’s lives.
After earning his bachelor’s degree in chemistry, he attended medical school at the University of Nebraska followed by an internship at the University of Kansas- Wichita. Dr. Ptacek completed his residency in Anesthesiology at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, NE, and his Interventional Pain Fellowship at Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, NC.
Dr. Ptacek describes his bedside manner as open and relaxed. He recommends common sense treatments with the goals of decreasing pain and increasing function. He likes to start his visits by trying to understand what is important to the patient. He is passionate about quality care and staying up-to-date with the newest treatments and technology.
Dr. Ptacek currently serves in the United States Air Force Air National Guard as a Flight Surgeon. He and his wife Melanie are blessed with two boys and one girl. They enjoy traveling, hiking, snowboarding, and flying small aircraft.Request Appointment
- Balloon Kyphoplasty
- Minimally Invasive Lumbar Decompression
- Intrathecal (Pain and Baclofen) Pump Trials, Implantation & Management
- Peripheral Nerve Stimulation
- Relievant Intracept (Basivertebral Nerve Ablation)
- SI Joint Fusion
- Spinal Cord Stimulation Trials and Implantations
- Vertiflex Superion (Spinous Process Spacer)
- Epidural Steroid Injenctions
- Facet Blocks
- Functional Anesthetic Discography
- Ketamine Infusions/Boosters
- Medial Branch Ablation/Rhizotomy
- Nerve Blocks
- Sympathetic Ganglion Blocks
- Trigger Points
- Amniotic Injections
- Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate (BMAC) Injections
- Intradiscal Biologic Injections
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections
- Independent Medical Evaluations
- Workers Compensation Evaluations
- Personal Injury Evaluations